Author Topic: New shop space  (Read 2680 times)

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
New shop space
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
When I was looking for a new house, my wife and I wanted some land with an additional out building. We found what we wanted, but the extra garage just wasn't big enough. It was a 24x32x10 with a single car door and not much else.

We both have plenty of toys and needed some more space, plus we wanted taller ceilings for a lift. So the work began.

We wanted to add an additional 24x24x14 section. The super tall ceilings would be more than enough to fit anything we could without any problems.

Next up was the concrete. The crew had to work fast because it decided to start raining on them.

Next up the walls and roof started going up. It was a pretty awesome surprise to see the contractor had gotten this far when we got home from work that day.

Time for the Tyvex and siding:

All of the siding is on

Got the garage door installed. It is a commercial roll up door. 10x10. Was fairly inexpensive for a door that size. Install was pretty simple too. Just needed a few extra hands to help hoist it into place.

Needed electrical now. The building already had electric ran to it, but it was ran from the other garage and only a 30 amp breaker was available. I needed MORE POWER!. Had the electric company come out and run a direct line from the transformer on the electric pole by the road.

I was also concerned with getting water in the garage since to maintain the level of the existing garage the new addition had to go below grade. Only slightly. So I had a drain installed. It works really well, but I still get water in the shop and that is only because of the bottom seal on the garage door which isn't that great.

Now that the exterior is done. I need some lights. I got 6 4 bulb LED lights from Prime Lighting. These things are amazing. Super bright and somewhat price manageable. They were $132/ea. Here is the website if you want the specs: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Please excuse the mess :-)

And how it looks now. Well almost, My wife's race car is in there now and the blue drift car is being torn down...

So now we have a 24x56 shop with 10' ceiling on one side for every day work and 14' ceiling on the other side so we can get a lift in there soon and not work like peasants anymore. Hope you enjoyed the project. It was a painstakingly long process because our contractor sucked balls.

EDIT: For some reason the pictures aren't showing, but should show if you right click and open in a new tab. Not sure what the issue is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:48:43 AM by awfc3s »
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline murz

Re: New shop space
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:31 AM »
Wow dude, first time hearing/seeing this. Definitely dream garage material right here, especially with two FC's, where's the mk3 supra?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »
It's in there now. It was in our other garage during the build.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
The shop looked great when we were there.  Those lights are really nice.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Eventually insulation and walls will go up. Then I can route air lines and get a lift in there.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert