Author Topic: My 1990 vert  (Read 945 times)

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
My 1990 vert
« on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »
So I know that some of you guys already have seen this in person or have heard about it, so I figured I'd actually start a thread about my convertible and the plans that I have for it.

I bought this car march 2017 from a kid in Kentucky. It was originally a Georgia car which was super appealing to me for obvious reasons. The kid was young and though I could tell that his intentions were good, his skills weren't. The car came NA when I bought it, but that wouldn't be in there long as my plans are to turbo swap it. Got the car back to the shop (old shop now) so it could meet its siblings and get started on the restoration.

The car needed quite a bit of work. It only had half of the interior in it and some of it was trash. So I took everything out and started from zero.

The floor pan as you can see was getting a little rusty from all of the holes in the top. So I made sure to clean that up. Wasn't really any big deal, all surface stuff.

I then started to procure newish interior parts from a local rotard that basically has his own rotary junkyard. He told me to come out and pull whatever I wanted and we would settle up at the end.

Back to the shop I go with my new parts and my ambition. Started throwing the interior back in, which is very difficult when you are working with 27 year old plastics.

The interior is completely finished now with seats in it. Just don't have any pictures at the moment.

On to the engine....

So I pulled the NA engine, which still ran pretty solid once all the vacuum leaks were sealed up. Rich (~Groll69~) decided he wanted it for his FC so that's where it went in case you were going to ask me if I still had it lol.

Engine bay was disgusting and I needed to get it clean asap. You can clearly tell which side I cleaned in this picture...

Got an engine from some importer, can't remember the name right now. Engine arrived so I started taking off and putting on what was needed. decided to go with an ACT street clutch as my only plans for this car is to enjoy nice spirited drives on nice sunny days. Racing beat aluminum flywheel and ACT pressure plate. In it goes...

This car was originally an auto and the trans mount didn't line up so I had to buy this adapter to make everything fit. The kid had just 2 pieces of bar stock and some bolts on the NA trans holding everything in. Not the greatest, but I guess with a low HP car it worked fine. I wasn't going to go that route. As you can see, this bracket is pretty solid.

Since I have done all of this my wife and I moved to a new house back in May and had our shop finished being built by September. It's in there now just sitting waiting to be worked on. I need to swap the engine harness over to a LHD harness and do a ton of little things. After I get the new engine in the drift car I'll get back to working on this. Hopefully I can get this thing going by early spring. Even if the top isn't done, I will still drive it on days with 0% chance of rain and just leave the top down.

More updates will come as I get the opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:28:03 AM by awfc3s »
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring