Author Topic: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver  (Read 16045 times)

Offline murz

Re: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »
I've put a few hundred miles on it and am now allowing it to get into boost and rev up to 6.5k.

-Ended up having a gasket fail between the water pump housing and block, this caused a small enough leak, and was very difficult to track! This has been corrected, and doesn't leak anymore.

-Car is extremely quiet, even at WOT, i'm not sure if i really enjoy this or secretly hate it. Because of this, i wanted things to make noise, so I moved back to the hot air cone filter intake system, and added a cheap $15 blow off valve to the mix (which replaced. Now, you hear turbo spool noises and a little bit of blow off valve noises. Because of this, I had to reroute the BAC valve hose from the old charge pipe after the turbo, instead into the unused pipe at the intercooler, car idles still! (I had tested it without the BAC, and it would not idle until full operating temperature.)

-Max boost car seems to hit is 7lbs, it hits this somewhere between 2500RPM and 3000RPM and holds it til I let off. It's got a very broad powerband, which is what I was hoping for.

-Just going to drive and enjoy the car finally, it's been 7 years since it's been driven this much.

1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2019, 05:12:14 AM »

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2019, 05:50:49 AM »
More photos of the build.

And a video of it running!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:04:33 AM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2019, 06:32:32 AM »
I scrolled down and saw disassembled engine pictures after your triumphant "I'm driving her a lot" posts and thought something had gone terribly wrong!

Glad everything is running well - the stock turbo is definitely quite responsive (although not quite to FD levels I imagine). Having the BAC coming off the intercooler is fine, its still pre-throttle so has ambient air pressure. Do you still have a cat in the system? I'm surprised its that quiet, mine got very loud with just removing the cat with the RB catback

Offline murz

« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:25 AM »
No cat, instead i've got a RB presilencer, it's a Borla catback and a 2.5in RB downpipe. Yeah it's very quiet, it loudens up a bit under WOT, but it's still not loud like it was when it was NA, or even compared to the FD. I can't hear it idling under the sound of traffic at all, instinctively i went to "turn up the volume" one time so i could hear it, but realized things don't work like that.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2022, 05:09:59 AM »
Just a small update, car has been good to me these past few years, though i'll admit it doesn't get driven as much as the FD does. Wheels and tires, and suspension is next!
1993 VR R1