Author Topic: 1988 Turbo 'Vert Project  (Read 15869 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: 1988 Turbo 'Vert Project
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »
serious failure, glad you cuaght that quickly.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Yea, hopefully I caught it quickly enough...

Just picked up the rebuilt lines from Pirtek, a hydraulic repair place near work.  Teflon & stainless braided lines replacing the previous ones, with new fittings welded to the original ends of the lines that the hose is clamped to.  They should be serious overkill for the pressure and temperature.

Fingers crossed...

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
those lines look really nice.  i hope you were able to get your engine bay cleaned up from the oil while waiting for the new lines.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
Yea, I was scrubbing it on Monday after work - there's still a bit of a rainbow puddle forming underneath in the rain tonight, but nowhere near as bad as before the cleaning & degreasing.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
Looking good hope to see you at the spot for dream cruise.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 05:27:53 AM »
I'm definitely going to try to get the oil lines reinstalled and everything shaken down by saturday, but this is going to be a very busy week between work & my fiance starting a new job.  I'd love to make it, but no promises.  Are you going to have the 20B out there?

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
I started to reinstall the cooler lines this afternoon.

It seemed to be going well,

But then... A wild 4" appears!

Even trying to take up the slack elsewhere, there's still an extra 3"

So hopefully I can get it shortened while I'm at work tomorrow, pick it up on the way home, and install it saturday morning

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
hope u make it out
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2013, 06:30:24 AM »
Just dropped by the hydraulic shop on the way to work, and they shortened the hose up while I was there, so hopefully it'll all go together easily

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »
Over the past two days I was able to scrape together enough time to get the hoses reinstalled, refill the oil cooler, put the rest of the engine bay back together and repair the crappy aluminum battery tray that replaces the stock one for the Corksport FMIC kit (it definitely looks like it was one of their prototype pieces... I hope... the welds are fine, but the geometries for supporting the battery are woefully inadequate, leading to a lot of fatigue cracks in the thin aluminum). She fired up readily this evening, with no sounds indicating serious oil starvation damage.  Just need to get a new battery & re-attach the belly pan, and she'll be good-to-go (hopefully).

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
Jump-started her today to go down & get a new battery, and it was like the electrical system was having a rolling brown-out when driving; the ECU kept re-setting, the radio would turn off when I hit the brakes, as would some of the gauges etc.  Basically, the battery had NO capacity left.  I also got a bit worried by the amount of smoke at one point, but it seemed to be mostly oil on the outside of the exhaust, and the new turbo blanket & downpipe wrap "settling". 

After replacing the battery, all those electrical gremlins were vanquished, and she was running a lot better.  I still need to keep an eye on the oil consumption, and make sure there are no other leaks after stripping the engine down prior to the oil line catastrophe, but for the most part she feels pretty normal.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2013, 06:49:22 AM »
And this explains why the starter solenoid was engaging, and the starter motor spinning, but not actually getting the engine to crank...

nice little hourglass shape to that gear, and...

no teeth on the ring gear!

Starter's replaced, and she's running again.  Also changed the oil to see if there were any metal flakes or slivers from the oil cooler line incident, but the oil looked pretty fresh for about 700 miles

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2013, 07:05:15 AM »
What the started decided to strip out?  I know your cars topless but seem like everything on it wants to strip lol.  Glad you found the cuase.  I would have just replaced the starter without ever opening it up.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
I've finally gotten to drive her a bit with only minimal difficulties.  Had to disconnect the WBO2 sensor to get the controller to re-calibrate the heater in it, and now it's working well again.  Then, since the weather was beautiful today & the leaves were changing color, we went for a nice 2 hour cruise around Dexter & Pinckney

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
great pics, i love the last one the best with a look down the road behind you.
"Long Live Rotary"