Author Topic: Winter Projects... we all have 'em  (Read 975 times)

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
Winter Projects... we all have 'em
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to get an idea on what some of you will be doing to your cars this winter?? I know for me it will be a total drift overhaul (depending on funds & providing i find another car to drive lol)

My winter lineup:
*get Tein suspension back from being rebuilt in the land of the rising sun
*Upgrade front and rear sway bars, adjustable endlinks, lower arm bar
*DTSS eliminators, full urethane bushing kit
*roll cage, weight reduction/get rid of all B.S. parts
*racing seats, harnesses
*front and rear strut tower braces

Just a lil somethin somethin for this winter, hopefully.

'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: Winter Projects... we all have 'em
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »
As of now I am working on body work and painting my 88 20B car.

Over the winter I plan on actually getting it running.  Which at this point consists of rewiring the front harness and wiring the stand alone. I also need to fabricate the downpipe, finish the Roll cage, mount the seats and the list goes on and on. 

Should be 500-600 to the wheels depending on how much I decide I want to turn the boost up.

We'll see what actually happens.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »
Sounds like a beast will be woken. Cant wait to see that thing!
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
I see you are diing the dtss elimination. What is the advan
tage in doing that? Is it jusy a drift thing? Hope I don't sound dumb but I admit I could use a schooling in suspension.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
The reason we have DTSS is to feel the advantage of "spirited driving" What that means is on sharp turns the outside rear wheel of the turn toes in 1 degree. It is nice for everyday driving when you wanna whip through a turn and showoff a little but the disadvantage of the DTSS is that it makes the rear end completely unpredictable. By eliminating this feature you now have full control of knowing when your rear end is going to come out.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
Its not really a drift thing but its definitely a must for drifting. A lot of autocross and scca guys do this. When driving in extreme racing conditions you want to know everything that your car can do and could possibly do. when racing we hate surprises.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »
Interesting, I have always felt that the car was unpredictable at the limits.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
I would probably have to agree with you but at the same time it might be about the drivers limits. IDK. always looking for input from others.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »
I dont know, I like the feel of the DTSS in my 'vert; its still very predictable up to and past the limits (and this is with RE01-R tires).  Down to personal preference really, but if you remove the dtss system, you need to add some static toe-in & stiffen up the suspension to minimize the dynamic toe-out with suspension deflection.

Anywho, I'm probably going to be spending the winter just tuning my vert for the BNR stage 2 & new injectors that I installed two weekends ago.  Living in an apt really limits the amount of work you can do when it gets very cold, and the speed at which you can do it.

However, the motorcycle project that lives on the balcony & in the living room should receive considerable effort  ;D

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »
You're welcome to come to Troy and give me a hand with my megasquirt if you have to get away from the apartment. :)
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline pjr

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 06:36:29 AM »

Minor winter goals: get the idle adjusted right; replace cap and rotor;  and hopefully I'll get rid of the squak in the rear suspension (I have to get under the car to deterine if it's shocks or bushings). Still handles on rails, but sounds creaky!

Offline bruceman

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »
I park my 1990 FC over the winter and have a few items need doing for the 2011 autocross season.  Fabricate a battery hold down for the smaller lawn mower I just bought
Get some camber bolts in the front to increase the negative from the current -1.  Hoping for -2 degrees.
Install non rusty sun roof
Install non peeling rear wing.  Anyone want my old S5 rear wing with paint peel?
Fix inconsistent engine idle speed when hot.
Install used radiator.  The bead on the top hose fitting  broke off at a rallycross last year on current radiator.  Main cause was overheat due to worn out fan clutch.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Well, the cold (& sitting dormant for a month) has killed the battery in the 7, so I'll need to pick up a new one before playing in the snow some more.  Its about 5 yrs old at this point, so I guess it was eventually going to happen.  Maybe I'll size one that'll fit under the cover behind the seats in the 'vert, and re-locate the fuses & whatnot back there to clean up the bay a little.  The aluminum battery mount that came with the corksport FMIC is a little bit flimsy anyway, & I've had to repair it before when it cracked, so i'd like to get the battery more securely fastened.

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I park my 1990 FC over the winter and have a few items need doing for the 2011 autocross season.  Fabricate a battery hold down for the smaller lawn mower I just bought
Get some camber bolts in the front to increase the negative from the current -1.  Hoping for -2 degrees.
Install non rusty sun roof
Install non peeling rear wing.  Anyone want my old S5 rear wing with paint peel?
Fix inconsistent engine idle speed when hot.
Install used radiator.  The bead on the top hose fitting  broke off at a rallycross last year on current radiator.  Main cause was overheat due to worn out fan clutch.

ill take the wing off your hands!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:45:11 PM by RX-7racer »

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
5 days on the charger & a thorough cleaning of the battery lugs & connections, and she runs!  Definitely need to replace the diff tho; sitting in snow with the car in gear, clutch out, and watching one wheel spin away is no fun. I've got a torsen from an FD sitting around collecting dust that I picked up... 3 yrs ago maybe?  way too long ago anyway.  Fortunately it swaps directly into the S4 turbo housing & uses the same spline as the half-shafts, so I just need to drop the rear subframe when it warms up to get at the diff, and bushings, and diff pinion snubber, and may as well do the diff bearings at the same time & clean up the rear end a bit...