Generation Specific > 1st Generation Build thread

'84 GS "Silver 7"

(1/5) > >>

elwood:
I promised to chronicle this, so I'll start at the beginning . . .

My parents live in CT, and they moved to a new home about 15 years ago.  Across the street in the neighbor's yard was a silver '84 GS.  It was sitting on an asphalt pad beneath oak trees. 

I would visit them a couple of times each year, and the car was always there.  I asked my father if the owner ever drove it -- "I don't think so" was the reply.

Time passed, and last fall (2013), I rang the doorbell, confirmed to the homeowner that I wasn't selling anything, and asked him about the car.  Turns out he parked the car when he had kids, drove it less and less, then just stopped driving it.  It hadn't moved from that pad in 20 years.   I explained that I was into RX-7s, and he was immediately interested in having me give the car a better life.

I eventually paid him $400 and went to pick it up with a friend two months ago.  The picture shows the Silver 7 on the trailer with my friend in the truck just after dragging it out of the yard.  All the tires were flat and cracked to the point of cord showing (including the spare).  Despite all that, Fix-A-Flat managed to inflate them -- hadn't used it before; that stuff's awesome!

~Groll69~:
looks like a great find.  so so pretty!!!!

murz:
She looks pretty, in my opinion, that color looks the best on 1st gens. I can't believe that fix-a-flat actually worked for that, I'll remember that!

elwood:
20 years of closed windows leads to a very "special" interior odor.  Overall, the interior was in very good condition, but a few small animals had made it their home.  There were pieces of acorns everywhere, and little oblong brown things, that I'm guessing were chipmunk droppings.  Fortunately, all the electrical functions seem to work, so it doesn't look like they chewed any wiring.

After we vacuumed it out, it didn't look so bad.  At first, I didn't like the color.  But you don't see it every day, and now it reminds me of the '80s.  I'm old enough to have good memories of that decade.  I'll need to do something for a stereo head unit.  The owner's son damaged the original stack while trying to upgrade to an aftermarket piece.  I like the OEM look of the silver stack, but I'd also like to have the ability to play MP3s.

fidelity101:
I am a sucker for 80s red interior's sooo good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version