Author Topic: Over heating flucuation  (Read 554 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Over heating flucuation
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:40:22 AM »
I am having an over heating problem with the vert.  It is non-turbo.  I have replaced the water pump becuase it was leaking.  Now my car will run fine for a while and then it will begin to over heat.  After a bit of over heating it will start cooling properly again.

When it begins to over heat, I get no heat through the heater core on the interior of the vehicle.

Is my thermostat going out? 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
Re: Over heating flucuation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »
I got the thermostat replaced last night.  I bought one that opens up at a cooler temperature then OE.  Instead of opening at 180 it will open at 170.  The car seems to be running better now, but i havent fully tested the fix yet.  The biggest thing i notice with the thermostat opening at a lower temperature is my heater is not as warm.  I think the cooler temperature is better for the rotary so i am willing to suffer with less heat for comfort.

Any thoughts?
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline upatnight

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
sup bro? i have been fighting coolant issues for a while now. any air in the system will give you hell. check all your hose clamps and and inspect the rad. good luck

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:03:49 AM »
I think i finally got all of the air out of the system.  I had to get a new radiator cap, thermostat and water pump.  its been running well now.  I have heat back in the car, but i think my heating issue was in the control unit.  I replaced half of it and it works now along with experimented with two different operating temp thermostats.  a 195 and 170.  I am back to the 170 becuase everything performs better at the lower temp then the upper temp.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »
Good to hear things are working better for you.

Just an FYI for anyone with air in the system.  I had to open the coolant system on my ls1 car a few times and the only way for me to get the air out of the system was to jack the front of the car up as high as possible set it on jack stands of course and start the engine with the radiator cap open until the air bubble came out.

It was a bit of a pain in the ass but it worked every time.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
There is that air bleed screw coming off of the radiator.  I can't unscrew mine becuase the philips slot is all rounded out, so i loosened the low level sensor to allow for the air to bleed out while i filled the car.  I also made sure the thermostat had an air bleed trhough the was rotated to allow the most air through with out trapping it.  then as i filled the car, i would squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses and it worked on eliminating air in the system fairly quickly without jacking up the car and running it.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »
Yeah the air bubble in my car was at the top of the motor which sits higher than the top of the radiator.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo