Author Topic: The winter project  (Read 2708 times)

Offline show_off

The winter project
« on: December 31, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
Started the winter project to fix some nagging issues and maybe do a rebuild if I can hide it from my wife! ;D.   I plan on moving the battery to the passenger side bin, rebuilding the brake calipers, putting on new rotors and pads all around, FMIC, lower mileage twins, fix front and rear seal oil leaks, upgraded clutch, new fuel rail with 1680s and FPR, Supra fuel pump with the direct rewire mod, new pulleys, and new water pump housing.  Lots of crap to do.

Pulled the intakes, intercooler, AST, battery, and the koyo radiator.  I found the 4 blade fan was stuck and appears broken.  I still need to drop the AC condenser and lines. 

I bought a kerosene heater and it does a great job of keeping the garage warm in 30 degree weather.  Hopefully it will work well when temps drop even lower.

I'll try to keep this updated, and anyone is welcome to come help me pull this bad boy! 8)

Offline murz

Re: The winter project
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Awesome! A lot to do, but will make one fresh FD! If i find some time i'd be glad to help! How's the engine's compression?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline show_off

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:27:21 AM »
Murz, the engine is 100 psi on both rotors.  It is an Atkins reman with roughly 60,000 miles on it, that is why I might rebuild it before it gets any worse.

Offline show_off

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
I spent 4-5 hours going through stuff and removing things to simplify the engine removal. 

I removed the condenser and most of the AC lines first.  I'll have to shift and adjust things with the new front mount intercooler anyway, so there is less in the way when I'm pulling it out.

I then decided to pull the down pipe out and removed the air pump tube to the catalytic converter that was just left down there.  I did a lot of cleaning down there since my oil leaks have been significant.

I then pulled the intake compression tube, AC compressor, power steering pump and lines, the bracket that holds them on, oil cooler lines, fuel lines, throttle and cruise control cables, random vacuum lines, ground wires, and removed some of the wiring harness & plugs.  The stupid bolt for the air pump broke on this spare housing again!  I hate that thing!  At least I can get it in a drill press to get it out now.

There is not a lot left to do at this point.  The main harness needs to be pulled through the fire wall and unplugged from the tranny, starter removed, tranny bolts removed, and then unbolt the engine mounts.  That should free it up to be pulled soon.  Lots of cleaning to do and some random minuscule crap to fix. 

I need a parts washer!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:48:18 PM by show_off »

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »
Great job.  I just got back from Alabama so haventgotten to do any car work past couple of weeks
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline show_off

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
New updates, I finally got the engine pulled out today.  All I had left to do was pull the harnesses out of the interior of the car and off the transmission, unbolt the tranny from the engine, unbolt motor mounts, release the TOB, and remove the engine.

It was pretty easy until I got to the TOB.  The brass ring did not want to move forward to release the TOB.  After messing with it for a while, I pulled the plugs and rotated the engine 180* and it pushed right in. 

Now I have to figure out what to do to/with the engine...just fix the leaks or do a complete rebuild.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:53:15 PM by show_off »

Offline show_off

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
Finally got around to tearing the engine down to the short block.  Took about 4 hours of me documenting and labeling things, but it is done.

Primary Turbo was leaking bad.  Flywheel and PP are badly glazed. The turbo manifold has cracking all the way through.  Good thing I have spares on hand.

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Good idea to do all of this before it becomes an issue on the road. Spares are always nice, that's what's nice about having an FC, parts are readily available and cheap.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:40:33 AM »
great work so far.  Love the progress.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline show_off

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
Update:  I dropped the engine off at the builder's place last weekend.  I should have that back in a few weeks.

I have turned my attention to the twin turbos now.  I had two sets, the ones currently on the car and a lower mileage set.  The really bad cracked manifolds were the 100k+ twins from the car, and the low mileage set I snagged for $150.  The lower mileage ones still have some minor cracking, but it won't affect performance.  I mailed the CHRAs and snails off to an old turbo friend that owns a turbo rebuild business.  He is getting some HT12 rebuild kits and will triple balance the CHRAs after the rebuild, and for a song!  I also ported the waste gate hole on both housings with a new carbide bit from Eastwood...it is freaking awesome! Well worth the money. 

I am going to ceramic coat the down-pipe, all the turbo manifolds to include the turbo hot side housings, LIM, and UIM.  Then I plan on powder coating some other parts too.

I have started stock piling parts too.  I picked up a HKS Twin Power and Exedy HD Stage 1 clutch kit (half price!)  I plan on sending out my injectors to RC Engineering to be cleaned and flow tested, and then port the 850s to 1300s.  Lots of parts to still procure prior to reassembly.  Fun times!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:08:13 PM by show_off »

Offline murz

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »
Wow, that original exhaust manifold was cracked pretty bad. Plan to turn up the boost? Did you find a powder coater near by? 
1993 VR R1

Offline show_off

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow, that original exhaust manifold was cracked pretty bad. Plan to turn up the boost? Did you find a powder coater near by?
There are a couple up here I am going to talk to and then decide.  Yeah, surprised the turbos boosted with all those cracks!

Offline show_off

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
I got my ceramic coating back today. It was done by Dun-right Q.C. Coatings on 23 near Hayes.  I thought his prices were very fair.  He did all in the picture and my DP for $200, and a bunch of powder coating for another $150. 

The single turbo manifold is one of the Turblown Cast Borg Warned IWG EFT Turbo manifolds.  I purchased it on the original group buy and decided to coat it with everything else. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:18:36 PM by show_off »

Offline show_off

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
And the engine tear down...my buddy Myles says it looks to be in pretty good shape.  Some of the side seal springs collapsed, but it seems to be looking okay for sitting for a decade.

Offline show_off

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »
More pics