Generation Specific > RX-8 Generation Specific

Big gray cloud....

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mark.c0000:
Well she's dead... she was running pretty good for a few days after the first two times it smoked but now it is over. I was driving back from the store today and started getting a huge oil smoke cloud following me. It was stalling and running really rough and was a fight to get it back home. Guess it's time to save for another motor or rebuild kit. It almost made it to 200k so not too bad for a 13b msp.

murz:
200k is pretty good for that engine, did you run pre-mix? Also, I'd still make sure with a compression test, the oil smoke is definitely a bad sign though. This exact thing happened to me before. When do you plan on rebuilding?

Mark.c0000:
Yes I did premix. Just with normal off the shelf 2 stroke from Walmart. I'm hoping to get a replacement rebuilt motor to swap in to her so I can take my time on the rebuild. Want to port it and make sure I have all the parts I want before I start assembly. The bad part is it will definitely take longer than I want because all of my and my wife's money is going towards the move back to michigan. The guy at the dealership told me about  $5000 for a reman and that's more than I paid for the car lol. Maybe I'll have to find a good junk yard motor to buy some time on the rebuild.

Mark.c0000:
Murz why did yours start smoking like that? Bad side seal?

murz:
I didn't get the big grey cloud of smoke or anything that bad, I did get more smoke than normal, my apex seals were super worn when I took her apart. So just lost compression basically, the moment it happened I had to limp her home, I barely had power to stay over 2000 RPMs in 2nd gear, kept stalling, it was a mess haha. Pre-mixing is good, especially for the early renesis engines.

The amount of money a rebuild can cost really depends though, the only way to really find out is to just take her apart, if she's still together when you move back to Michigan, I wouldn't mind helping out. Hopefully the housings and Rotors are Okay. Either way, this sucks to hear man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version