Generation Specific > RX-8 Generation Specific

Sputtering and loss of power when hot...

(1/4) > >>

Mark.c0000:
Now that it is getting warmer out I have been driving my 8 to work (about an hour drive each way) after driving for about 40-45 min I have a drastic power loss a hard time getting to higher rpm's and sputtering. I have checked or changed all the normal issues and can't pin it down.

Motor is under 20k still and always premixed.
New battery.
New coils plugs and wires.
New e shaft position sensor.
Just pulled and cleaned the ssv Sunday.
Fans are both working properly.
Alternator is charging at proper voltage.
Only cel code is for o2 sensors (no catalytic converter)

Anybody know something I'm missing? I'm down to the throttle body being bad or the computer. Really don't want to spend the money on them if they are good. I already have more in to the motor than I paid for the car lol.

~Groll69~:
have you ensured no vacuum leaks?  Maybe it heats a vacuum hose up enough to cause it to leak after engine is warmed up.  I am guessing at this point based upon what information you posted.  If someone has other suggestions please say them.

Mark.c0000:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginhave you ensured no vacuum leaks?  Maybe it heats a vacuum hose up enough to cause it to leak after engine is warmed up.  I am guessing at this point based upon what information you posted.  If someone has other suggestions please say them.

--- End quote ---

I have went as far as spraying starting fluid around in my engine bay listening for an idle change and haven't found any leaks. And yes any suggestions are appreciated. If it's 35-40 degrees out I never really see the problem it only seems to happen if it's warm out and the car is warm.

~Groll69~:
is there an air intake temp sensor?  If there is, maybe it is getting to much heat soak and causing selective failure when it gets too warm.  Mass airflow sensor not fully connected?  Another thought is secondary air ports in the throttle body not opening properly and sticking closed.  I know the second gen has the secondary air ports which many people will remove later on. 

murz:
Do you notice the loss of power throughout the entire band? Does it want to stall when idle? When do you first notice it, after leaving a stop?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version