Generation Specific > RX-8 Generation Specific

Sputtering and loss of power when hot...

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mark.c0000:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginDo you notice the loss of power throughout the entire band? Does it want to stall when's​ idle? When do you first notice it, after leaving a stop?

--- End quote ---

It only really does it above 5-6k RPM that's why I assumed the ssv was dirty and sticking. It will stall sometimes if I let off the gas after I try bringing the rpm's up. Takes off from a stop fine as long as I don't try to bring the rpm's up high. I can drive around fine at 3-4k RPM and never notice it until I try bringing the rpm's up. Maybe a slightly rougher idle when it's​ warmed up.

Mark.c0000:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginis there an air intake temp sensor?  If there is, maybe it is getting to much heat soak and causing selective failure when it gets too warm.  Mass airflow sensor not fully connected?  Another thought is secondary air ports in the throttle body not opening properly and sticking closed.  I know the second gen has the secondary air ports which many people will remove later on.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure on an air temp sensor. I will look into it. The mass airflow sensor I have pulled and cleaned but forgot to list. I will probably try to pull check and clean the throttle body this weekend if I have the time. I would love it if it was something that didn't cost a lot and was an easy fix.

Mark.c0000:
I am starting to think it may be the fuel pump. Worked day shift today so it was warmer out for my drive home. As it got warmer during my drive I noticed the power loss get lower and lower in my rpm's. It ended up stalling at a stop when I tried to take off. Wouldn't bump start from a 10 mph roll so I stopped and tried to start it. First time no start turned the key off tried again no start turned it off again let it sit for about 45 seconds and fired up easy and went through all 9k rpm no problem. Ran good for about another 5 min and started acting up again. Sound like anything but the fuel pump to anybody?

~Groll69~:
sounds like a good culprit.  The pump could be getting to warm and worn out just right that as things heat up there is a loss in fuel pressure.  could put a pressure tester on it and see where the fuel pressure is at.

ITSWILL:
As mentioned check fuel pressure. Doubt there is any heats oak on that air temp sensor, but it could be out of whack causing the engine to pull timing. Engine coolant could be bad too. This could dump extra fuel in the engine and bog it down. Both sensors can be tested with a multimeter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version