Author Topic: The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread  (Read 5848 times)

Offline murz

Strange. With the MAP unplugged, I think it defaults to thinking the car is always under load, but I'm not sure how that would affect it, unless it richness the fuel mixture? Ever look at the spark plugs?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

Ive pulled the plugs maybe 5 times since the rebuild to clean them off, they dont look bad yet

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
I would suggest you at least get a wideband on there to have some idea of what is going on with fueling.

You are taking in a lot more air and you haven't changed the fueling.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline FCwidman

I have a wideband..... it idles at mid 13's when warm and is in 12's at wot, when it acts up anything under 3500rpm under any kind of load it leans out to mid 14's and has jumped up to high 15's and I can hear it missing and stuttering. Once it hits 3500 and the secondarys come on it jumps back to 12's.
From what ive read stock fuel set up should be fine for the time being, eventually I wanted to put in a more modern  injector but probably wont go much bigger

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Is it everywhere below 3500 or near 3500 that is misses?

I might try grounds as Marcus mentioned. I don't know how many engine grounds you have now but having 2 doesn't hurt. Also have have seen where people tie an additional ground to the ground wire on the pressure sensor to fix hesitation.

Also, I'm assuming you didn't have this issue before the swap. So I would think it could be something installation related like an engine ground.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline FCwidman

Everywhere under 3500 except idle. I only have one ground currently and was going to put another on the other side of the engine.
Yeah car ran normal before the build, but it also did about 200 miles on the build before it started acting up, all without the map plugged in
For the additional ground on the pressure sensor, do mean just splice it inline with the ground wire and run it to chassis , or is their a common chassis ground that can be relocated closer?

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Not sure this will fix your issue but it sure won't hurt.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline FCwidman

I think first off I'm going to replace the sensor with one that actually works, hopefully I land a job soon and can get a standalone before the dream cruise

Offline fidelity101

are you sure its MAP sensor related? wasn't it working fine before the swap?

you need a snazzy rtek or something to control the fuel.

Offline FCwidman

Sometime during the build the pressure sensor vac nipple broke off, I could never get it glued together right and the car would never start with the broken sensor plugged in but would start with it unplugged.
Im not positive its the map but last time it acted up I jumped out and plugged the broken one in and it hasnt done it since. But yeah I agree I really need a tuneable ecu, Ive been keeping an eye out for an rtek on the forums but I think I want to get a true stande alone

Offline FCwidman

Re: The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »
So I got bored and wanted to change up the exterior of the car a little, I've always wanted a carbon fiber hood with the big vent in the middle but never felt like spending the coin on it. So what better way to screw up your hood than with some cheap ebay mustang vents. oh and I happened to have a thermal camera so I took some cool photos, the temp technically raised with the vents in, but it was a hotter day and I probably drove it harder. You can definitely feel some heat coming out of them, hope they don't melt.

stock on the left, vented on the right

Offline murz

Re: The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 06:09:15 PM »
interesting, it looks like there's a difference for sure! I noticed the picture on the left looks like it's partially in the shade too, but still looks like the heat is more spread out on the vented hood.
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

Quarantine has gotten the best of me, my car is now yellow.

Still need to finish the new front bumper, which is a giant pain, and put the side skirts back on.

Next project is going to be dying the interior tan, I always wished FC's came with a tan interior option.

The daily has also gotten some love recently, new wheels

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
I love the thermal images of the car.  I need to do some paint and body work on the convertible.  Looking good.  Surprised you went yellow with it.  It looks good.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

Yellow is looking good!! Excellent choice.
1993 VR R1