Author Topic: 1993 red R1  (Read 6469 times)

Offline murz

1993 red R1
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
Now I've done it... prepare for a long story...

Ever since I've been able to drive I've wanted an RX-7, this is mainly due to my friend having an FC and driving us around in it when we were in high school. The first time I saw an FD was back in 2007, I immediately fell in love with the car and knew one day I'd get one. In Japan, the first day I was there, the first picture I took was of an FD, it's always been my dream car. For a while I was totally happy with my FC's, but after finishing up my degree and buying a house, I realized I was in a position where I could afford an FD. I've always looked at the FD market, just researching their prices and what a good deal is. After Woodward dream cruise, I kicked my search into high gear, this is especially true due to fact that ITSWILL would be willing to help me out in finding one and bringing it back home.

After a few weeks of searching, calling people and inquiring about their cars, I finally found one. This one was in Nashville, Tennessee, it was red, but more importantly, an R1 and rust free, with new paint. ITSWILL and I agreed on a date to drive down there and pick it up, and the seller agreed on the date and price. I was looking for something that I could drive, but wasn't already highly modified, this was definitely it as compared to others I had inquired on. I had prepared the garage for a new addition.

We headed down to Nashville early in the morning and got to the seller's house early afternoon. The sellers were a married couple that were crazy about rotary cars, in fact they had 3 FDs, 1 turbo SA, 1 RX-8, and 1 REPU. When I got there I was amazed at how damn good the car looked in person, it was then that it hit me that I was actually about to purchase my dream car. We took the car for a test drive, and the seller even let ITSWILL drive the REPU following behind us, and encouraged him to rev it like hell, needless to say the sellers were really cool, oh and I got to drive the REPU as well while ITSWILL drove the FD back to the seller's house. (The REPU experience was really cool on its own!)

As we loaded the car on the trailer, you could tell the sellers were really emotional, they even recorded it on video check out their YouTube page! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The drive home consisted of us staying the night at ITSWILL's brother's house (it was coincidentally his birthday too) and having a mean BBQ and much needed sleep. I had chick-Fil-A for the first time, and had breakfast at Taco Express, we also stopped at the Corvette museum, all in all it was a good trip. Also, the car got so much attention from people giving thumbs up, to asking to have their picture taken next to it.

We got home and had it in the garage just before midnight, the whole trip took 42 hours. Big thanks to ITSWILL for driving! It was a great time actually.

Once i finally had time, I installed the undertray that was off at the time of purchase, this was really easy and I didn't even need to lift the car. The clutch engaged really high on the pedal, this was adjusted and is much better now. The throttle cable had a good inch or two of slack, this was adjusted to just a few milimeters of slack. The rear strut bar was added and I decided to take the car for a spin.

First thing I noticed is the idle is a bit inconsistent at times, reminds me of a poor TPS adjustment on the FC's, which is very well possible on the FD as well. It doesn't want to stall, it just gets a bit lumpy at times. There's no low end, this is due to the fact the turbos are ran parallel instead of sequentially, this is typically done for reliability and better fuel economy on the low-end. At WOT, the thing hauls ass actually, it may not be as fast as ITSWILL's cars (ahh hhem) but it's damn quick for me. Boost response is nice, the car rides very smoothly, and there are no clunks in the suspension. There are a few shakes and noises from the interior, which I've actually managed to correct a few of them. I drove for about 40 minutes, checking for any issues, in that time I had a few thumbs ups, one guy asked if the car was made in 2010, and another thought it was the new Supra.

What now? Well I want to drive it more, learn how it handles and from there do light modifications. I need to replace a tie rod boot, and fix the 5th gear grind (involves removing transmission and replacing a synchro.) Then, wheels and tires, cold air box, better air shrouding, inter-cooler, suspension, get a PFC, and maybe turbo upgrade or single turbo route. There are a few good modifications done already, such as upgraded Koyo radiator, downpipe, high-flow cat, boost gauge, deleted AST (air separation tank) boost controller, new suspension parts and bushings.

Expect a lot more pictures to come over the next year.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:30:38 PM by murz »
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: 1993 red R1
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
It was a good trip for sure. Driving the REPU was a hoot for sure.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »
Driving the REPU, I felt like I could die a horrible death at any moment, it was slow, the steering was the worse I've ever experienced, the carburetor would fuel starve on corners, the 4 speed gears were spread out a lot, and it made all sorts of noises. It was an absolute blast!! It was a uniquely horrifying fantastic experience, I want one.

And now I also want Chick-Fil-A too.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »
Congrats on bringing it home.  I want a red one too mostly stock, but with the sun roof.    Beautiful car!
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
congrats! looked like a fun trip too!

Offline murz

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
Got some more pictures over the last few months, finally getting around to posting some. Added a M2 Carbon intake, cleaned up some things, added some things, tightened up and replaced a few things as well, nothing major though.

Friend's 2002 Z06, he flew to Seattle and drove it back through a few snow storms and mountains.

3 Red RX's.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:21:34 PM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »
Replaced the Oil pressure sender unit this weekend, for such a cramped engine bay, and being mostly stock, the entire ordeal took me 5 minutes from removing it, to replacing it with a brand new one. Tested the car and the oil pressure gauge is reading correctly finally, before it would show either 0 PSI or maxed out on the gauge. It's crazy that the FD gets over 100PSI during high RPM operation, had me worried but it's normal.

1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this Saturday having our FDs lined up!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 06:26:58 AM »
Replaced the stock intercooler with an upgraded Peter Farrell Supercars unit. It also came with a custom intercooler duct as well. It took about an hour getting the new unit on, due to the cramped engine bay, and having to re-locate things. Also added on a replacement Map pocket lid, that my car was missing. I need to replace the entire surround eventually, due to a cracked piece, but for now the map pocket lid looks way better! I'll try to get pictures up soon.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
Map pocket installed. (Didn't have to take the door panel apart, which is nice. This is from Bubbletech)

Installed, it sits a bit crooked, I think this is due to retaining the stock pipes, I'll mess with it and see if I can straighten it out. I retained the stock cowl that is designed to connect the intercooler duct to the intake duct, just to keep a stock look to it. I had to modify the underside of it in order to fit with the new intercooler duct, which is huge.

Size Comparison outside of the car
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:37:19 AM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »
Wow, that is an absolutely minuscule intercooler! I think even the OEM T2 one is bigger, and the water-to-air core I got (which are much more effective) visually looks like it's got more surface area as well. Yikes

Offline murz

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:35:52 AM »
I think you're right, I'd bet the T2 top mount has more surface area, and probably cools better than the stock SMIC on the FD. Another big issue with these is the factory intercooler duct, one side of it goes to the battery, and the other goes to the intake, which prevents any efficiency to the stock SMIC.  The Duct for the new one is fully sealed against the intercooler, and it extends out beyond the radiator a bit more than the factory one does. Also, it doesn't share with the battery or intake, solely dedicated to the intercooler. When I bought the car, it didn't have a duct anyways, so I'm sure it's going to love life now. You could tell after a WOT pull, it would lose power before.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
Been busy replacing/fixing things with this car as of lately. I decided to tackle replacing the air pump with the Pineapple racing idler pulley system. Everything was going smooth until a bolt broke on extraction, this caused the bolt to pretty much weld itself into the water pump housing, several hours were spent trying to extract the remaining pieces with all sorts of drill bits and what not. The bolt would not come out, and was just causing a bigger mess (steel on steel surrounded by aluminum). I've also had a small coolant leak around the top of the water pump that I couldn't quite track down, but wasn't from the water pump leak-hole thing that usually spews coolant when they fail. I decided to replace the housing entirely, including the thermostat, while re-using my old thermostat neck (This is a rare part that includes the ability to bolt on an S5 radiator cap that's needed to delete the AST), so I had to paint that to match the newer housing, all in all it looks good under the hood now. Now I'm waiting on replacement belts to come in, the Pineapple racing kit supplied a belt, but it was too small, this is due to the fact that my car apparently doesn't have the stock water pump pulley size. The P/S belt is apparently the hardest thing to find in the world, even Summit Racing didn't have it, so I'll reuse the current one until the new one comes in next week.

Hopefully have this car all bolted back up soon, work has kept me busy, and the only time I've had to work on it has been the hottest of the hottest days (works great when you have a sensitivity to heat + bad back). Also, more upgrades will be coming soon, including a PFC, Tein lowering springs with stock shocks (I read the Howard Coleman thread on Rx7club religiously to find the right setup, it's a great read! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Next up is to find the right wheel tire set-up, though I'm in no rush as I have to wait for more money. Pictures will come soon.

1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »
The guy I bought my car from said he had the Howard Coleman setup on it too. Prolly why have the Tein springs
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
Ah, didn't know you had Tein springs on your car, I haven't installed mine yet. Another thing that I forgot to mention, is my clutch pedal breaking in half, I ordered a replacement pedal, but I was sent a brake pedal instead. So, waiting on that as well. I really just want to drive it!
1993 VR R1