Author Topic: Tuning Shops  (Read 4715 times)

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
Tuning Shops
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:42 AM »
Once I get the FD back up and running I'll need a tune. I was originally looking to take my car to Elite Rotary Shop in Chicago, but I'm not sure I want to. I spoke with the owner Sal over the phone and it sounds like they know their stuff, but after the bullshit with IR Performance and the engine they built that I am tearing down already, I don't really have a lot of faith in these so-called rotary shops. Now, I remember meeting Chris from Banzai several years ago and didn't get the best vibes from him. Seemed like he was a little too cocky and didn't want to talk to you if you were stock. However, after looking into his shop and customer reviews, everyone seems really happy with him and his shop. He has a lot of information about his shop and his customers cars on their website, which gives me some good feelings. I kind of want to get your guys opinions on the matter. Let me know what you think. Do you think Banzai is worthy to let them tune my car?
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Tuning Shops
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:08 AM »
Chris from Banzai is a good guy.  Joe who hasn't logged in for a while took his silver third gen to Chris a while back.  He used to be in Michigan before moving his shop to Indiana.  He has been to our woodward meet a few years back with a white turbo swapped vert.  I don't think you will be disappointed at all with his work on your car.  Plus his shop is closer then Chicago.  I have been to cheap to let anyone else work on my stuff, but I would definitely let Chris do work for me.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »
Banzai is good to go from what I hear, sources being the Rx7club forums, PJR and Bill (10th anniversary on here from west side of state). I've never heard anything bad at least.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
Ya I basically haven't seen anything bad about them. On their website they have the dyno page with each cars mods. i haven't seen anything other then a PowerFC or HKS twin power for engine management. I have a Haltech. Not sure if he is familiar with them.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline murz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
Yeah, at least worth a call to see if he's familiar with it. I guess that'd be the deciding factor really.
1993 VR R1

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
I sent them an email. It looks like they sell Haltech on their site, but that doesn't mean they tune it. Waiting to see.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Still haven't heard anything back from Banzai. I may call them.

I actually have been in talks with Steve Kan (legendary rotary tuner) about remote tuning my car. Told him I was just trying to get an idea right now, but over the next few weeks I would be putting my engine back together and getting the FD ready for tuning. This would be awesome if it happens.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
That would be really cool, when are you planning on putting the engine back together?
1993 VR R1

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
Hopefully within the next couple weeks. Ordering the rest of my parts this weekend. Just ordered OEM apex seals this evening.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline pjr

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »

Chris is probably swamped this time of year (he is usually swamped year round).  Call the office and you'll likely get Elaine and convey your questions through her; one of them will get back to you. They know their stuff and do awesome work! Office hours are like 11-4 so be aware....