Author Topic: My 13B-REW Rebuild  (Read 1489 times)

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
My 13B-REW Rebuild
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:43:04 AM »
Now that I have officially started my rebuild I figured I would start a new thread on it. I spent most of Saturday cleaning and prepping. Mineral spirits and purple power (not together) work wonders for cleaning silicone and grime off of engine parts. I started putting the rotors back together when I got to my last oil control ring and noticed something wasn't right. Both ends were facing down. A closer look at it and it looks like the end that points up to catch in the metal oil seal band had sheared off. However, I don't think this happened inside of the engine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm leaning towards IR Performance. The things I have noticed while tearing this thing down have sketched me out beyond belief. So I thought about just ordering 1 new ring, but I don't want to take the chance. I ordered a new complete set. It's a minor setback. I was hoping to have the engine closed back up yesterday, but now I play the waiting game. Everything is ready to go when they get here. I should be able to knock this thing out soon. Hopefully...
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline murz

Re: My 13B-REW Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
That's really odd, I bet it was done like that outside of the engine as well. Any oiling issues with the car? How did all the bearings look? What other sketchy things have you discovered?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:55:36 AM »
It's hard to narrow down oiling issues with having bad side seals. The bad ring may have contributed some of the excess exhaust smoking, but not sure. Some of the other sketchy things I have found have been the over use of silicone making up for not using an OE gasket, side seal clearances, the rear main seal wasn't seated properly into the rear stationary gear and I'm sure there are others I am missing. I wouldn't trust IR Performance to look at my car as I drove it by their shop.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »
This past Friday I worked from home and ended up finishing my work early, so I decided to try and throw my engine together. I managed to get the keg sealed up by dinner time. Will and his family were on their way down and bringing my LS for the drift car down, so naturally you know he was going to lend a hand. Saturday morning we got started on mounting the accessories onto the engine and ready for installation. Got the engine in and everything was going really smooth. Stopped to have dinner and by the end of the night we had managed to successfully start the engine on first crank, break in, change oil and drive it. Sunday we played around with some of the tune (not much, just a few small things) and drove it a little more. Car is running great and I even drove it to work today. Already have 100 miles on it. Trying to get some more miles on it before I have it tuned. I didn't take a lot of pictures because we were in a nice groove and getting stuff done. Huge thanks to Will for being there and lending a hand. Hoping everything goes well and I can bring it up for Dream Cruise.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert

Offline murz

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:44 AM »
Awesome! Sounds like it went pretty smooth, glad it's back on the road.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »
awesome, glad you were making great progress over the weekend. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!