Author Topic: Best operating temperature for a 13B NA  (Read 724 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Best operating temperature for a 13B NA
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:06:32 AM »
I am wondering, what is the best operating temperature.  There are 4 different Thermostat temps for the Rx-7.  The other question is how are the lower temperatures going to affect the internal cabin heat of the car?  I had a 170 in and that seemed to barely get into operating temperature, but i barely had heat.  I have installed a 195 and have lots of heat, but i also replaced half the electronic heating controls too (which i am guessing may have been my no internal heat problem).  I am not sure if i should go back to the 170 thermostat and if i do will i retain my heat?  Love to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Below OE - 160 Degrees
Below OE - 170 Degrees
OE Temp - 180 Degrees
Above OE - 195 Degrees
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: Best operating temperature for a 13B NA
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »
Seems to me like the heat should still work with the 170.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:28:54 AM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:39:39 AM »
I put the 170 degree operating thermostat back into the vehicle.  It does seem to run much better at the lower temp.  I do still get heat and it feels sufficent.  I think my heating problem was actually in the the front half of the control unit not operating properly. 

I did notice that after shuting the vehicle off at the 195 temp, it did have a harder time wanting to restart.  I would have to wait and let it cool down quite a bit and it would then start just fine.  It also felt like i had lost some power from the engine at the higher operating temperature.  I have no hard numbers to back that up, just the way the car felt like it was operating to me.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »
Ah, the good ole ass dyno. 

While we are on the topic of the heating system, the heat is always on in my ls1 car possibly ever since I did the swap.

It's not blowing really, just sort of radiating through the vents.

My guess is I removed something I shouldn't have, or there is a problem with the logicon.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:13 AM »
check the heater controls.  My previous control face would not move the electric assymbly to really turn on the heat, it was partially on.  That also prevented me from getting any heat through the face vents, though you could feel heat through the defrost vent and floor vents, but it was only mild heat.  Hence my confusion thinking that a higher thermostat was the answer.

I was going to just swap heater control units, but didn't have the patience to disconect the wiring, and realized i could swap half of the unit and that actually fixed my problem.

One way to check is to look up at the motors under the dash and play with the controls and make sure everything is moving properly.  Also make sure you are getting good electrical connections to the unit.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
the cabin heater control should be irrelevant of what engine is in the vehicle.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline (SEED)

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »
85C is where my happy spot is

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »
85C is 185F which is right at OE recommendation for operating Temperature.  I do beleive the car is running a little stronger at the lower 170F or 77C temperature.
"Long Live Rotary"