Author Topic: Vera's Story - '09 RX-8 Sport  (Read 5667 times)

Offline toplessFC3Sman

Vera's Story - '09 RX-8 Sport
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
Vera is a 2009 RX-8 Sport, in pearl white with the 6-speed manual and 84k miles. She was previously owned by another rotorhead on here, and I got her from a dealer after they flooded her engine and assumed that the engine was toast and not worth the effort. Part of this was spending a few hours at the dealer pulling plugs and de-flooding the engine, but it resulted in them selling her to me at their wholesaler's price of $4500. Totally worth it, since she is in very good shape.

I intend to keep her mostly stock, nothing radical, for use as a more fun DD and HPDE/Rallycross toy, in addition to the Saab (Nina) and the FC RX-7 project (Savannah). However, there has still been some work done mostly for reliability and getting her ready for the track.

- A cheap HID kit had been installed that only worked intermittently, and after trying new bulbs, ballasts, and main relay, I eventually just ripped it all out and put the OEM H7 bulbs back in the projectors.
- Cleaned out the water in the taillights by taking them off the car, drilling a hole in the bottom inner corners of each, draining the water, then filling and sloshing with white vinegar followed by distilled water. Once they were clear, I plugged the hole with a generic plastic panel fastener of the right size, cut down so it didn't protrude too far into the housing. So far, so good!
- New BHR ignition coils & NGK plugs and wires to try to solve what felt like a slight miss at high RPM. These didn't do it, so I'm holding onto the parts that were originally on the car as spares.
- Cleaned the ESS and reset the NVRAM, plus cleaned the MAF to address the slight misfire - this worked. Checked the catalyst and it looks perfectly fine.
- Hawk HP+ brake pads for the track. After one track day, they're squealing away though, so I'm swapping back to the nearly new pads that were on the car
- General G-Max summer rubber on the OEM wheels.

And, she survived her first track day perfectly! I was just getting to know her, the repaved Waterford Hills track surface, and don't have a ton of track experience so I was in the beginner group, but was reeling in just about everyone else in that group pretty quickly, with most laps right around 1:27. Vera performed flawlessly, no signs of misfire, no overheating, the brakes stayed strong although I could probably have dropped a couple of lbs of tire pressure. I ended up doing the course in 3rd gear to simplify things and reduce the chance of problems while focusing on the driving line, and it went very nicely.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline murz

Re: Vera's Story - '09 RX-8 Sport
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 05:48:46 AM »
Glad you were able to get such a great deal on this. After watching your video, it really makes me want to get into HP driving, an RX8 seems like the perfect car to do it with too! Any plans on upgrades?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
No, I don't plan to do much to her beyond maintenance. Maybe small things like front brake cooling ducts and mud flaps for more track days & rallycross/ice racing, but I want to keep her comfortable and reliable for fun DD duty.

I was looking back at the lap last year in the tuned Saab (Annalie), and I was doing about 1:30's then. This was on the old pavement, and what people were saying was that the repaving was worth ~2 sec for lighter cars, and almost nothing for heavier ones, so I figure maybe 1 second due to the track for the ~3100 lbs of both Annalie & Vera (hopefully they don't get mad at me for posting their weights). I think I was certainly doing a better job driving this year, but otherwise at least on this track, the two cars seemed fairly well matched despite their differences. I was shifting more in Annalie (mostly to avoid a low-RPM misfire), she had a bit more grunt (~250 hp, 285 ft-lbs, vs 230 hp and 160 ft-lbs in Vera) but was FWD, and had slightly wider but slightly less grippy tires than Vera.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »
I did about 1:25-28 in the rally car there on the old track per lap there, I was excited for my 8 to lap there but with the failed engine that is gonna have to wait, and the black flagged for sound quickly in the rally car...

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 08:09:26 AM »
This past weekend I went out to Grattan for the first time with Vera, and it was a blast! There were sessions on Sat & Sunday, and we camped out Fri & Sat night in the infield/pit area. That track is so much fun, with the blind and off-camber turns, bumps, and how so many of the corners could be strung together into long complexes. I definitely improved a lot over the course of the weekend, but am far from proficiency or good repeatability yet. Vera performed flawlessly on the same set of Hawk HP+ pads from Waterford (I had spares just in case, but these are still less than half-worn), now with braided stainless brake lines too. All-in-all, very minor mods.

2nd to last run (No Instructor): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Last Run (No Instructor): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can hear the red-line buzzer going off at various points there, I was generally topping out 3rd gear right before the jump and before the turn 11 hairpin (before the run up the hill to the main straight), which is ~85 mph, and topping out 4th on the straight which is ~107 mph. By the end of the weekend I could start to string together most of the corners well, at least some of the time, and laps were around 1:40 based on the video.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »
looks like a lot of fun!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 04:33:01 AM »
I've never heard of this track, how often do they do these sort of things? It looks like an absolutely blast.
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 06:51:03 AM »
There are various open track days at Grattan every other weekend or so, usually run by different car clubs. The one I went to was run by RSR Porsche club, but there are other Porsche, BMW, and general car interest clubs that do it too.

I'm planning on either going back to Grattan later in the summer/fall, or doing a few days at Mid-Ohio later this year, plus maybe another day or two at Waterford if they are convenient.

Oh, and Vera's now rocking Kevin's "Midwest Wankel" sticker, and I've had a few people ask me what a Midwest Wanker is... :-D

Offline murz

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
Ah cool, thanks for the info! I need one of these Midwest Wankel stickers, I didn't know he had those, that's hilarious.
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
Speaking of Grattan, I just saw this article over lunch where it states the lap times for various new police cars & SUVs:

So... I was doing lap times that could be put down by a hybrid Ford Explorer, with ESP on, on all-season tires. Definitely humbling.

Offline murz

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
Interesting article, I'll bet they had quite the driver for those tests! I've seen how bad those thing roll taking just normal city bends. Definitely impressive stuff, though I'd still take my chances at you out running the every day cop in one of those. I also would imagine one of those drivers would do very well in an RX-8.

Makes me wonder what the fastest Rx-8 has done there? All I could find is a Ray Huffmaster with an RX-8 ran a 1.27 in 2007. According to the internet Ray is quite the skilled driver, I couldn't find anything about his car's specifications though. Though, I bet his car makes 240whp and weighs around 2800lbs.
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 03:46:18 PM »
This thread makes me miss this car. I wish I could have gotten to take the rx8 to the track before parting ways. How's she been treating you? I've still got the matching factory pedal cover for the clutch and the oem winter floor mats I bought for it, let me know if you wanna meet up sometime or I can bring them to the next get together/ dream cruise.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
I had originally intended to get 17" wheels and snow tires for Vera, but since she had 18" snow tires on the OEM wheels when I bought her, I still had those in the garage. Recently, a set of Mazdaspeed3 wheels popped up on craigslist for $250 - 18x7", the same bolt pattern and center bore, and an acceptable offset - it made for too good of a deal to pass up. They are a similar style to the OEM RX-8 wheels and were in pretty good shape, but I sanded them down and painted them quickly anyway. Its a bit lighter green with more yellow in it than the winter wheels for the Saab, but they go with the mud flap color better. It was a quick sanding & paint job so they aren't great up close, but they should look good once on the car.

Ice racing, here we come!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
This past weekend I got to go down to Mid-Ohio with Vera for the first time for a two-day HPDE, and it was a lot of fun! Well-run event, plenty of track time and instruction, and Vera performed flawlessly. Unfortunately, I didn't perform flawlessly and ended up giving her a black eye...

Crap. I've got video of the incident coming, but basically what happened was this: The incident was completely my fault, but there were a number of factors that lead up to it that I didn't deal with properly.
  • It was my first lap out in the last session of the first day, and my tires were still cold since I don't think it even hit 50°F that day. I was specifically going out at the end of the pack since many of the other cars were faster than I was (in B-group) and I didn't want to be getting in their way and causing back-ups.
  • My instructor had been pushing me to late-apex just about every corner, some much later than I felt comfortable with... and this incident happened on one of them. Even though the instructor wasn't in the car, I was still trying to follow his lines.
  • This corner (turn 14 if you want to look at a map) has a fairly steep uphill stretch leading to the corner, but it flattens out right before the corner and the corner is mostly flat
  • The first few cars out caught up to me moving much more quickly than I was shortly before this corner (and already had one lap done, so their tires, brakes etc were warm). I had time to let 2 of the 3 by in the passing zone, but the third one felt so close to the rear of my car coming into this corner I could barely see their lights in my mirror.

Anyhow, trying to drive my instructors line and feeling rushed and nervous about braking with someone that close to the back of my car lead to me accidentally braking a little later and less hard than I should have. This delayed my turn-in point until I was just about cresting the hill, and I was still on the brakes a little bit as I was turning in (you can hear the brakes squealing in the video as I turn in), all of which made the rear of the car very light and caused it to snap out. I caught the initial snap-oversteer, but since my foot had been on the brakes when it happened I didn't get it back to the gas in time and the car snapped back the other way, leaving the track on the outside of the corner, sliding through a gravel trap and very gently bumping a wall on the inside. Overall, I was very lucky that it wasn't worse, and while the front bumper skin, fender, headlight, and a bit of the metal supporting that corner got a little bent & bruised, it didn't damage the oil cooler, wheel, suspension, or really cause any mechanical issues. Again, this was completely preventable, and was a result of my actions and allowing myself to feel pressured into braking later than I should have.

Anyway, I came into the pit after this (you need to after any off-track incident), and the inner wheel arch had come loose and was rubbing, but the car was driving straight and felt fine. I took the wheel off, partially removed the front bumper skin, and bent the inner metal back up and out enough to allow everything to go back into place and fit roughly the way it was supposed to. Everything checked out with the suspension on that corner, the oil cooler, and the headlight function (it wasn't even cracked, surprisingly enough!), so I was able to drive it back to the hotel that night and drive in all 4 sessions the next day before driving her home.

The next day went a lot better after I had the time to think about what went wrong - I was able to keep a cooler head, listen to myself about when I needed to be braking and turning in especially on that and one or two other corners (and definitely picked up some speed in doing so), and the next day went by without incident. I have video of the last two sessions the last day too, where I felt I was doing a lot better. The tail did get loose again on that corner in the very last lap of the last session, but it was on track-out when the throttle was on the floor, so a quick steering correction was all that was required to catch it and continue on. Overall, I was very happy with the weekend and Vera's performance, despite that incident, and I think my best lap time was around 1:55 - about a 3-5 second improvement over the Saab when she was tuned. Most of that was probably down to the better tires; Vera has a bit less HP and a lot less mid-range torque (important since I was running in 3rd the whole lap except the back straight going into 4th for both cars), about the same weight, but much better balance.

Anyhow, videos are coming, but for now some pics! There were some pretty impressive cars there - a viper ACR, lots of Porsches of all vintages (and a number of Turbos, GT3's and GT3-RS's), lots of BMWs, an awesome 70's Trans Am with a heavily worked over big-block Pontiac motor (I want to say it was bigger than 455 cu in from talking to the owner, but I don't remember exactly what), a Cobra with a halo roll bar that sounded mean as hell (that I actually passed in my group!), a Ferrari 458 Challenge (I think) with a whole truck, tire warmers, pneumatic jacking system etc, an R8, an Aston Martin DB9 or Vantage or something), and a number of Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, Miatas & FR-S/BR-Z's

And of course, some glamour shots of Vera, post-black-eye

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:29:35 AM by toplessFC3Sman »

Offline murz

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
Looks like a good time, sorry to hear about the damage, but looks like it could have been worse and you've learned from it. Sounds like the perfect storm situation that lead up to it. Can't wait to see some videos!
1993 VR R1