Author Topic: Kamiko - 93 touring model in red  (Read 3119 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Kamiko - 93 touring model in red
« on: August 16, 2019, 06:22:43 AM »
Dreams do come through.  As many of you know, I have been wanting to purchase an FD.  Well a divorce had to happen and I needed to find myself and an amazing woman that fully supported my dreams too first in order to make  things a reality. 

The Woodward dream cruise has been a huge part of this group.  Last year in 2018, at the dream cruise, while in the middle of my divorce, Bruce Wallace offered me a chance to purchase his beautiful 93 Rx7 touring model in a year or two when he was ready to sell it.  So the following Sept I looked at my finances and realized I had enough to get me close to purchasing it.  I met up with Bruce at the Blarney Stone on Woodward and we struck a deal on the price of the car. 

Since striking the deal, I was then in serious need of a good parking space.  In the mean time I had started dating Carianne.  After a bit we decided to purchase a house together and not just any location would do.  7s were in my blood and the place we found has the address of 777 and has 7 acres with a pond.  My dreams were coming true.

Summer roles around and the money I had set aside to purchase my dream was short because of needing things for the house and down payment.  I was also planning a huge house warming party which included a surprise birthday engagement and full wedding.  Since funds were short, I had to secure some financing to make my dreams happen.  I got that and called Bruce to finalize the sale on the same day as the party 7/13. 
Bruce had paid for storage of the car and wanted to get more summer fun out of it before I was able to take full possession of Kamiko. 
Just over 4 weeks later He was ready to let it go.  We both held to our gentleman's agreement that we struck.  Personally I didn't mind waiting.  I have waited about 20 years from when I first wanted an FD till now when I was able to realize my dream.  I am happy that Bruce was able to let it go right before Woodward Dream Cruise.  He has been a great member of the forum for years.  I had always loved seeing his car when he brought it out for Dream Cruise. 
Since getting the car, I have named her Kamiko.  Kamiko means little goddess in Japanese.  So now I can only say let's cruise.  Life is to short not to enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:28:26 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

Re: Kamiko - 93 touring model in red
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »
About time! Seriously, so happy for you man, everything has been really been coming through this year for you. Last night was a perfect night to cruise too. Can't wait to see more of it this weekend!

Also, nice picture of it in the garage, i bet that feels good huh?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
Man seems like everyone in the club is getting an fd, maybe I should put off buying a house and pick one up instead lol.
Cant wait to see it at the dream cruise

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 05:01:58 AM »
You should
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
Kamiko is officially put away for the winter.  She is sleeping soundly under her soft cover.  I have also gotten Bella put away too so now i can begin taking her apart and getting ready for painting the engine bay.  Thanks to Itswill for helping me get things moved around in my new barn to park 3 of my rx 7s side by side.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 05:13:30 AM »
I tried to begin working on Kamiko yesterday.  As I feared, I broke two hoses and found a coupling that was cracked and partially melted.  It also wasn't a very tight connection.  I still have not gotten to the turbos themselves yet.  I believe i have an oil leak at one of the feed lines to the turbo. 

Anyone know a good hose kit to buy to replace all of the hoses with?  I might as well replace all of them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:13:46 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 06:04:56 AM »
Itswill came over to help me try to find an oil leak near the turbos.  All the vacuum lines are in need of replacement.  I'm doing those too.  We broke a couple of selonoids and check valve.  We got the rats nest out.  I spent the next evening replacing the small vacuum lines in it.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 10:21:01 AM »
We took Kamiko out cruising for the weekend on woodward.  The verdict is the clutch is definitely going out on it.  So no spirited type driving.  I put an Exedy Stage one 10802HD clutch on order.  We will try to get the transmission fixed too with it's 5th gear grind.  I think the sychro is shot for it.  I know it has been a common type issue for the cars in general.

The good part is i have managed to get the engine bay clean after replacing the vacuum lines and it looks immaculate.  Practically brand new.  Definitely the best that i have ever seen one.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 06:05:46 AM »
Thanks to Marcus and Will for helping me get the engine and transmission pulled out of Kamiko.  I now have a list of parts to search up and put on order.  I will be doing even more cleaning on her.  Time to clean the new oil and the old oil that i couldn't get to.

The planned parts are:
Rear main seal
Oil pan brace
Air pump block off plate
Complete exhaust w down pipe
Transmission rear seal
Shifter seal
5th/reverse syncro
5th syncro ring
Reverse syncro ring
Two NTN bearings for the transmission
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
Are you planning to get rid of the air pump entirely? If so, I can show you what I did, and what parts I had to get. It was a PITA while the engine was in the car, but being out of the car it should be fine.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
At the moment, im not planning to get rid of it.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »
After spending nearly the past year apart.  I finally have Kamiko back and running.  I rebuilt half the transmission, replaced the original clutch, resealed all oil surfaces, fixed a differential seal leak, replaced 60+ vaccum lines, had the doors repainted, installed a completely new exhaust and some other minor things fixed.

I have taken her on two shakedown cruises which is as many cruises i had done last year before pulling her apart.  She runs great.  I'm loving it.  I need to finish the wet sanding of the doors and she will be done for the time being.
"Long Live Rotary"