Author Topic: Ruby - 1980 SA  (Read 1114 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Ruby - 1980 SA
« on: September 01, 2020, 05:20:32 AM »
Well PJR posted a link for this car in the chat box.  It was his old neighbors car and she had decided to sell her after 34 years of wonderful ownership.  Nancy was the second owner and purchased the car in California in 1984.  The following year she moved to Michigan in 1985.  She has always stored the car and it has never seen snow.  She decided to retire from her job at Ford and move to Florida.  She felt it was time to find a New owner for her beloved little car.  The car has it's original owner's manual in the glove box.

I had seen it in PJR's posting and contacted him.  I pooled all my financial resources together to get the car and made my offer through PJR.  The car came with the glass sun roof and a color matched moon roof too.  The interior is Black with a Renaissance red paint color.  I did not get the car cover for it, so that will be a future purchase.  My plans for the car is just to maintain her and enjoy her as a cruiser.  Everything on it works.  The choke sticks a little and the parking brake needs to be adjusted better.  Ruby is a great little addition to my collection giving me one of each generation now.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:26:05 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline FCwidman

Re: Ruby - 1980 SA
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
Looks great! I wish mine had the 4 spoke steering wheel, I've got the 2 spoke one.
Those seats look pretty cool too. Any plans for it?

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »
Wow, looks mint!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
No plans other then to keep her stock and running right.  I need to clean the engine bay (which is pretty clean now), but i can make it look almost new. I just replaced the glass shocks with a brand new set that came with the car.  The only other issue is the choke sticks right now, so i have to baby the gas until she warms up.  I will need to figure out the interference in the choke.  She is definitely mint.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:09:57 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 05:43:31 PM »
I just ordered a set of hatch struts. My choke is really hard to pull sometimes, is that normal? Also i noticed after a period of time itll shut the choke off on its own, im assuming thats normal? Ive never actually had to play with a carb'd car before, all pretty new to me. The fc was the oldest car ive owned since this (my truck feels older but is still fuel injection itb garbage)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »
I don't know on the carb stuff yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mazda had designed it so that the choke would close itself after warming up.  My Ruby has an old aftermarket alarm on it (not sure how well it works) that supposedly can be turned on with a separate key in the back and an indicator light too.  looks really well done.  I just need to take time to understand it better.  It has a switch inside the car too tucked along the leg area of the drivers side near the radio.  It is out of sight when you look in the car.
"Long Live Rotary"