Author Topic: My little 79 spark  (Read 2473 times)

Offline FCwidman

My little 79 spark
« on: September 01, 2020, 07:37:14 PM »
Recently picked up what is basically my dream 1st gen this past weekend. A 79 SA rx7 S in none other than spark yellow! All I need now is a CYM FD and a lightning yellow rx8 and I'll have all yellow rx cars lol.
3rd owner (basically 2nd, guy only had it for 2 months), 85k miles, 4 speed manual, completely untouched minus a radio upgrade in the 80's (it's terrible). My plans are to keep it the way Mazda intended it to be from the 70's, with the exception of maintenance upgrades and period correct wheels (I love the waffles but their sooo small.)

Don't have too many pictures of it just yet, but I'll take some soon.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

Re: My little 79 spark
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 06:57:42 AM »
That's a great color, and it looks like it's in good shape! Can't wait to see it in person.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
Same,  Looks good.  Hopefully we will see it in person soon.  Looking forward to additional pics when you get them.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
Just did some polishing on the first gen, and WOW this thing got soooo much more yellow. I wish I would have done it before the meet last weekend, it looks great now. I'll have to grab some pics when the sun comes out.
Here's a little half hood polish for a before/after comparison. Picture doesn't do it much justice, but there's quite the difference

Anyone have any idea on why the trans would be really hard to shift? It shifts kind of OK around 2500rpm but is still pretty hard to get in gear. I replaced the slave cylinder and hydraulic hose already. Adjusting the pedal is next on my list, since it feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Also saw some stuff on Rx7club about using different gear oil helped some people.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 07:23:30 AM »
i would think that the oil level may be a little low.  so changing the oil will help it some.  I think it would not get rid of the entire hard shifting.  Ruby is a little tough getting into 5th gear, but i got it figured out now, I cant force it in.    You may have some synchros that need to be replaced.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »
I bled the clutch some more and that helped a little, adjusting the pedal freeplay under the dash helped out tremendously. Still a little hard to shift at higher rpm and reverse still sounds like a bolt action rifle, so I'm gonna check the fluid and probably change it. Does anyone know what the recommended gear oil is?

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 05:42:10 AM »
I can check my haynes manual for you.  Later today
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 07:31:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My friend from Chicago does car reviews for youtube, and when he saw that I had got this 79 rx7 he said he just had to review it. He actually has an 84 or 85 fb with an s4 13b swap. Go check out the video and his channel