Generation Specific > 2nd Generation Build Thread

Groll's Baby!!!!

(1/22) > >>

~Groll69~:
Well as many of you know I own a 1987 Red GXL NA.  This car is my baby and I have talked about it many times.  No one has actually seen the car over the years, including myself.  This baby of mine go back a long ways.  I purchased it in Aug 1997, It was the first car i purchased on my own and the first Stick shift I owned. 

Over the summer working for American Rentals I saw it for sale on the side of the road.  I watched it sit there all summer long as i saved up the money to allow me to purchase it.  When I had enough saved up I called the number and went to look at the car in person.  I found out the engine was a rotary, and fell in love.  I loved the styling, I loved the fact that it was not a piston engine, but I really had no clue what a rotary was other then it was different.  I wanted it and i didn't care, that little red sports car was going to be mine. 

At the time i beleive it had around 95,000 on the odometer.  It was a beautiful summer august day when i met the gentleman again for the second time.  This time we discussed price and upon settling on the price we drove to Felpuasch in Grand Ledge.  At the time my bank had a branch located inside the grocery store there.  I pulled out the money and he signed over the title.  About that time, we heard sirens go racing by north on M-100. 

That day had more significance to me then just a car, about the same time i was purchasing my car from him, a good friend of mine and my wife was in a very very serious car accident and she did not survive.  I know JJ would have loved seeing my little red sports car.  She would have loved riding in it too.  I did not learn of her accident until later in the evening.  On the way to a friends house, the clutch actually went out.  This was the beginning of the storied history of my Baby.

This car has always been around, though not always on the road.  It has been a ton of fun too.  I taught my wife how to drive a stick shift in it.  Not sure why i did that, now she drives the rx-7s like she stole them.  I will upload pics of the car and its progress.  This car is about to undergo the biggest transformation in its life and has been 14yrs in the making.  Stop by as i update the forum on the process of my Baby which i had named "The Rex!"

pjr:

Wow. Sounds like a tribute vehicle in the making. Looking forward to updates.

ITSWILL:
It's almost a year later but there should be much more to come very soon...

~Groll69~:
If there is anyone that wants to help, we will be installing the engine into it tomorrow.  The more hands the faster this effort will be accomplished.  Itswill will be providing the garage space.

ITSWILL:
Some pics form today. First we dragged his car over to my house.  Andrew was very excited!!!.  So far we got the engine stripped down and cleaned up a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version