Generation Specific > 3rd Generation Specific

The winter project

<< < (2/5) > >>

show_off:
New updates, I finally got the engine pulled out today.  All I had left to do was pull the harnesses out of the interior of the car and off the transmission, unbolt the tranny from the engine, unbolt motor mounts, release the TOB, and remove the engine.

It was pretty easy until I got to the TOB.  The brass ring did not want to move forward to release the TOB.  After messing with it for a while, I pulled the plugs and rotated the engine 180* and it pushed right in. 

Now I have to figure out what to do to/with the engine...just fix the leaks or do a complete rebuild.

show_off:
Finally got around to tearing the engine down to the short block.  Took about 4 hours of me documenting and labeling things, but it is done.

Primary Turbo was leaking bad.  Flywheel and PP are badly glazed. The turbo manifold has cracking all the way through.  Good thing I have spares on hand.

murz:
Good idea to do all of this before it becomes an issue on the road. Spares are always nice, that's what's nice about having an FC, parts are readily available and cheap.

~Groll69~:
great work so far.  Love the progress.

show_off:
Update:  I dropped the engine off at the builder's place last weekend.  I should have that back in a few weeks.

I have turned my attention to the twin turbos now.  I had two sets, the ones currently on the car and a lower mileage set.  The really bad cracked manifolds were the 100k+ twins from the car, and the low mileage set I snagged for $150.  The lower mileage ones still have some minor cracking, but it won't affect performance.  I mailed the CHRAs and snails off to an old turbo friend that owns a turbo rebuild business.  He is getting some HT12 rebuild kits and will triple balance the CHRAs after the rebuild, and for a song!  I also ported the waste gate hole on both housings with a new carbide bit from Eastwood...it is freaking awesome! Well worth the money. 

I am going to ceramic coat the down-pipe, all the turbo manifolds to include the turbo hot side housings, LIM, and UIM.  Then I plan on powder coating some other parts too.

I have started stock piling parts too.  I picked up a HKS Twin Power and Exedy HD Stage 1 clutch kit (half price!)  I plan on sending out my injectors to RC Engineering to be cleaned and flow tested, and then port the 850s to 1300s.  Lots of parts to still procure prior to reassembly.  Fun times!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version