Author Topic: Jumping on the bandwagon with a 94 touring  (Read 5557 times)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Jumping on the bandwagon with a 94 touring
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
So Rima was looking around CL for FDs and actually found this car on Wednesday in Dallas. I just happened to be going to Dallas the next day for work. I went and checked it out and left the seller a down payment. Now Andrew and I are flying back to Dallas in a week and driving it back!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
<a target='_blank' href='You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login gifs online[/url]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:03:47 PM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

Re: Jumping on the bandwagon with a 94 touring
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
Oh man, it was only a matter of time haha. Found yourself a clean FD it looks like, and for a good price too, considering all the modifications it has, including the wide-body and fresh engine. How wide are those rears? They look beefy!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:24:21 PM »
congrats! looks great! if its got an REW in there and you want to go 3 rotor... lets talk :)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »
It has 255s on the front and 295s on the rear.

The engine is kinda of a mystery that needs some more research done.  I got a dyno sheet from when the engine was rebuilt and it did 288 WHP, estimated 351 Crank.  However it was modified further later to the stage 4 in the following link and dyno tuned, I don't have dyno numbers from that but they claim it should do 325 WHP.

I'll probably just throw it on Andy's dyno and see what it puts down. Either way it is pretty darn powerful.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »
I bet it's making more than 325whp if it's got those mods on it, but who knows. How much boost was it putting down, and were the turbos sequential or parallel? At 1 bar, with similar mods, it can put down between 360whp and 380whp it looks like, stock ports?

Considering this car makes about 220whp from the factory at 10psi, 5 more psi and it makes 130whp more with the right modifications, that's got to feel like quite the difference.
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:00:48 AM »

<a target='_blank' href='You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login image host[/url]

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:55:52 PM »
So I know I don't even have this car back at my house yet but all I keep thinking about is how busy the engine bay is.

I'm thinking about deleting the Power steering, deleting the ABS, deleting the air pump, replacing the intercooler couplers with black silicone pieces and polishing/painting things.  Also thinking to relocate the battery to the passenger side bin.

I think these things will really clean things up a lot and also reduce some mass for little cost.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
The FD engine bay is busy without a doubt, especially with all of the stock components. I plan to ditch the air pump I have soon, and hopefully find a larger inter-cooler.
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
We should do an air to water on your car, I definitely would if this car didn't already have a Greddy SMIC. I would really like to do an airbox of some sort too.  The one you have is pretty nice and I really like that Autoexe intake but I would likely just make my own out of aluminum sheet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:23:59 PM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 07:31:31 PM »
An air to water cooler would be really neat, hoping to see how Pete's goes, and I know you had success with Rob's. Yeah, the intake boxes don't look too difficult to make, I can show you mine more in depth sometime, if you want to copy that design and use it as a template too.
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:54 AM »
Wow, that looks like its in good shape! Definitely a bit complicated under the hood, and it doesn't look like there is much room between the top of the engine and the hood for a top-mounted W2A intercooler, so probably the best spot would be out in front of the strut bar near where the OEM cooler is or where a V-mount would sit. Is there room to package the heat exchanger in the front of the car somewhere?

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
This car was for sale around here a while ago.  I think This air to water setup is almost perfect.  The only thing I would do different is mount the cooler to engine so It rolls with it.  I might move the BOV to the throttle side of the intercooler too, but that probably doesn't matter with as little flow restriction as this has.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:40:14 AM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
Wow, that's a nice setup, is he using the engine coolant to cool the water? Is that the pump on the passenger side fender? Very clean setup though.
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
I spoke with the second owner  of that car today and found out some interesting history.

First off he bought it at a dealer where he was told the first owner traded it in for a Corvette.

Also he told me he sold it for more than I am paying which always feels good.

He also told me that it was street ported when it was rebuilt which the guy I bought it from didn't know about.

The best part is he told me it made over 350 something to to the tires!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Wow, that's interesting for sure. How did the idle sound? I'm suspecting mine was street ported too, the seller didn't have much information on the engine rebuild, as it was done before he bought it. I'll have to contact the previous owner too!

Definitely believe it, with the modifications you've got, 350whp sounds do-able without a doubt, hell, even more with a street port! Not sure if you mentioned this, but were the turbos running parallel or sequentially?
1993 VR R1