Author Topic: Mazda 6S - Saga  (Read 4896 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Mazda 6S - Saga
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
My wife and i have owned a 2004 mazda 6S since december of 2003 when we purchased it with 17 miles on it.  Well that car has had a lot of miles put on it.  at 192k+ miles it has quit running.  Prior to going out, the car stared consuming huge amounts of oil.  I can not turn the engine completly over now, but i can put a wrench on it and rock it back and forth.  The initial diagnosis is that it has a stuck valve.

Looks like I am in the market for a new car or new engine.  Looking at prices of new mazda 6 3.0L 6 Cyl engines i have found avg $1800+ for something with a ton of miles on it.  Since Ford was assembling these vehicles in Flat Rock, I was hoping for some cross utilization of engines and engine technology.  Checking a Mazda 6 Club forum, i found people that had used Ford Fusion Engines in place of the Mazda engines at a fraction of the cost.  Most sensors I have learned appear to be the same, but a few are specific to the Mazda 6.  I think i am going to explore this route and see if i can get the car running again.  Any suggestions on this effort is appreciated.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

Re: Mazda 6S - Saga
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
same platform so I imagine its not very hard, maybe some they are useless emission sensors

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:49 PM »
The first Ford Fusion came out in 2006 where the Mazda 6 is a 2004.  The engines appear to be same and other people have used Ford Fusion engines in place of the Mazda 6 engines becuase of cost.  I don't get the reason for selling a used mazda engine with 191k miles on it for $1800 when i can get a Ford Fusion one with $52k miles on it for $440.  The uniformed will pay that kind of money.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:07:41 AM »
Anyone have any leads on a 2006 Ford Fusion 6cyl Duratec Engine?  This should be compatible to the 2004 Mazda 6 6 cyl engine.  Most sensors are compatible between the two.  I have about $400 to spend right now and any help to find this would be appreciated.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »
I found a 2006 Ford Fusion engine for $350 with 43,000 miles on it.  It is said to have a cracked valve cover.  That is not a big deal.  I can swap the valve covers over from the mazda 6.  The engine is in a salvage yard in St Johns so i will have to head up there today to get it.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
Well the engine i got for it only had 43,943 miles on it.  We got the car over to Itswills garage and have begun disconnecting everything in order to swap the new engine in.  I put the new clutch kit on order from partsgeek.com too.  Hopefully this next weekend it will be running properly.   
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »
I didn't know it was manual, nice!

I was looking for a while a wagon, manual with leather. pretty hard it turns out...

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
Work so far, The exhuast is cleaned out completly of its air flow hindering junk.  The transmission is attached to the engine with new clutch in it.  The axle transmission oil seals have arrived at the dealership, so need to pick them up.  The front cover was swpped over from the old engine so the assecories could be atached.  The assecories have been attached such as a/c alternator and power steering pump.  Still awaiting the Variable Valve Timing Solenoids.

The plan is to install the engine on friday and reassemble everything possible while awaiting for the VVT Solenoids to arrive.  The progress as been slow and meticulous.  At least we were able to identify all parts that needed to be replaced.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
Pics of the work
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:18:36 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »
here is that Bosal site with the diagrams I was talking about.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 06:22:41 AM »
Thanks.  Looks like the two gaskets i need is out of stock with that website.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
My two Variable Valve Timing Solenoids should arrive tomorrow.  Now if i can line that up with the seals i need, then everything will be perfect.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »
rockauto.com is your friend :)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
It's ALIVE!!!  just have to replace a damaged transmision seal, but it runs an drives down the road!!!!
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's ALIVE!!!  just have to replace a damaged transmision seal, but it runs an drives down the road!!!!

nice!! you just got a bad output shaft seal I take it then